Tuesday, March 11, 2014

# 5 Cheese Flatbread

This flatbread recipe was born when I was craving some pizza and I still hadn't figured out the perfect pizza crust. I started to make these cheese flatbreads and I ate them with my favourite pizza toppings.

In this recipe you can use any type of cheese you want, I prefer to mix different cheeses and this recipe is also a good way to finish small pieces of cheeses you might have in your fridge. Just grate the hard cheeses finely and the softer ones like Halloumi with a bigger grater blade, or chop them finely with a knife. Check the labels for cheeses and choose only those which don't contain any added preservatives or additives.

Intermediate 1 for sulphite/sulfite issues, aged cheeses might be problematic for some, so use cheeses in baking only after you have tried them by themselves. That way you can identify if some foods are still giving you problems.

Cheese Flatbreads, makes about 10

4 dl or 1 3/4 cups of Millet flour
1 dl or 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp. of grated Parmigiano Reggiano - Parmesan cheese
1 dl or 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp. of grated Halloumi cheese
2 Tbsp. of Chia seeds
1 tsp. of dried Oregano
pinch of Himalaya salt
2 1/2 dl or 1 cup of Water

Mix millet flour with chia seeds, salt and oregano in a mixing bowl. Add grated cheeses and mix well with dry ingredients. Add water and mix well. This mixture needs to be thicker like when making flatbreads with sweet potatoes. Cover the baking tray with a good quality baking paper and put tablespoons of the mixture on the paper and spread circles which are about 0,5 cm high.
Bake in the oven 180 C or 350 F, about 12-15 minutes.



Pork is not normally on my menu, I eat cured ham (prosciutto crudo ) and salami occasionally. I have been lucky and I have found gluten free and additive free cured ham and salami in Italy. I still had some vacuum packed cured ham I got from Italy in my fridge, so this was the perfect time to make this recipe. You can find many different types of cured hams in the supermarket and in my opinion the best ones comes from Italy or Spain from small local farmers. Unfortunately many manufactures add additives to their hams and salami. My butcher in Italy raises his own pigs and the cured hams are made by his friend.  These forest raised pigs eat what they can find on the ground and I often think if these pigs are also able to find the truffles. Anyway this cured ham has a genuine taste and it doesn't give me any problems, even though I know that many people with sulphite/sulfite issues are not able to eat pork.
Here is my suggestion to eat these Cheese Flatbreads. 


Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment